How To Be Better Than Anyone Else?
Remember playing dress up as a kid in front of the mirror? Would you style your mom’s heels or put on her lipstick? Wore your dad’s watch or play pretend carrying his wallet?
Chances are, our 6 year old selves had a better sense of personal style, pertaining to our sense of self then, than we do now. Personal style is forever evolving, but back then, it wasn’t about the trends or what the models wore, walking down the runway. More so, we were inspired by the people in our vicinity, the events that surrounded us and oh! yes, where we came from.
What is Personal Style?
Personal style is your identity, a form of self-expression, an art that we all have the skills for.
Your style is influenced by the places you’ve lived at, the movies you watch, the experiences you’ve had, the blogs you read and basically, everything around.
Well, go ahead and ask me, “But Raashi, doesn’t everybody inevitably have a signature style anyway?”
Yes, we do. But ask yourself, is your style intentional? Is it exactly how you’d like it to be? Does it align with the values you have for yourself? Or wait, does it align with who you are and the person you want to become?
I can be appreciative of the style of a teenage school boy, an Italian countryman, a New Yorker rap artist or even my favourite TED speaker, but that doesn’t mean I can rock it too, right?
Your personal style is how you choose to present yourself to the world. It’s more than what you wear. It’s how you carry yourself, how you live, the values you believe in and a constant representation of your personality expressed through all the tangibles on your body but not limited to that.
So, why is it so important to have a signature style after all?
1. Authenticity: To develop and intentionally create a personal style is a way to be more self-aware. When you understand your own creative expression better, you communicate the right message across. What that means is you define yourself and your personal brand the way you want to and not the other way around.
2. Inspire others: When you channel your truest self, people can start identifying you with your little quirks and style elements. Not just that, you inspire others to fearlessly express their true selves too. They want to be more like you and admire you because you know and understand yourself and so, people, in general, trust and respect you more.
3. No more things catching dust: When you really know what your style is, you buy with intention and only the things that you will actually use. That also means you won’t fall prey to trends and whatever you buy will be something you’d love to wear and keep for time to come (yes, didn’t you hear? Global warming is real).
4. Better sense of style: How many times have you been caught up in the rut of “What to wear?” and then gone back to the comfort of the same old breezy dress? Breezy dresses are amazing and I love them on days I don’t feel like dressing up, but has it kind of become your uniform?
With a better understanding of your style, you won’t have to recreate the same star looks that you’ve done on occasions before and definitely won’t have to shop for a new piece every time there’s an important event in your calendar. You will know exactly how to create a new look that you’d love. Every. Single. Time.
5. More Confident: When you look and feel good, from inside and outside, you feel more confident. And that shows. Mindful styling is creating exactly what works for you and then walking out of the closet knowing you did justice to yourself, not your favourite brand or the latest trend in the magazine (because they will keep feeding you new trends, that’s the whole business of fashion- to sell!). Now, just imagine the aura of confidence that will surround you because it’s not just you, who is more confident but people around you have more confidence in you too.
Why do you think personal style matters?
Also, would you like to read about how you can successfully develop your personal style?
Let me know in the comments below!